Friday, April 29, 2011

Invisible Chains - Part 1

All that it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

I popped by the library today because one of my holds was ready for pick up. The entire first season of GLEE. I need to see what the big deal is!!

In the hold section, was another book I had requested. "Invisible Chains"


This was a book that had come up with a book club I'm trying to participate in. (I say trying because I've not successfully attended a meeting yet and this book was from last month, yet my library hold only surfaced today). I'm working on it.



I hope to read & comment here, much as I did with "Half the Sky".

Invisible Chains is a book about Canada's human trafficking issues. In Canada you ask? Um, sadly - yeah. It's kind of huge here. A country that prided itself as being a destination for freed & runaway slaves - a product of the underground railway of long ago, is now once again a destination. This time for traffickers.

My eyes are being opened and my heart saddened as this book describes places I'm familiar with; cities I've called home... Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax and numerous smaller cities and towns. The victims are foreign and Canadian citizens. This scares me.

The issue is so much closer to home than I could have ever imagined and until 2005, there was no Criminal Code offense of human trafficking. The book describes Canada's record in dealing with human trafficking as lethargic.

I hope to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment